Linux box vs black box

Hi everyone.

This is perhaps off topics, but I'm searching for external opinions
about firewalls ;

1 - a linux box with kernel 2.4.x and netfilter/NAT
2 - a linux box with a commercial firewall product
3 - an integrated firewall you don't know much about what it is made of

For my own, I prefer the first one, as it doesn't need any additionnal
software, and if a problem occurs, I can rebuild it from scratch.
I never used the 3rd one, and I don't like it cause I like to know
what's in a box and have total-control over it.

Please, tell me your opinions.

Mathias BOCQUET

--
Slackware for 4 years