Re: SSH-1.5-OpenSSH-1.2.3 of debian 2.2 is secure?

On Wed, 2 May 2001, Matteo S. wrote:

> Hello! I have a doubt. The current SSH1 in Debian 2.2 potato is secure?
>
> I have read that ssh2 implementation of openssh is better secure and
> the ssh1 is not secure. Is right?

Do not get into the habit of thinking of things as secure or not secure.
The word secure should always be considered a temporary thing at best.

SSH2 is more secure than SSH1. SSH1 is pretty secure, or secure enough for
many uses if SSH2 is not available.

Security is like locks on the door of your house. There is never secure vs
unsecure, only levels and how much is too much to be worth it. One lock on
the doorknob? Doorknob and a deadbolt? 3 locks? 4? 5?

If telnet is 1 lock, then SSH1 is 3 locks, and SSH2 is 5.

Gandalf  Parker