Re: suspicious netstat ouput

On Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 02:12:46AM -0500, Adam Keys wrote:
> On 20 Apr 2001 18:26:00 -0400, Jonathan Freiermuth wrote:
>
> > tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:25              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      0          1542       487/sendmail: accep
> > udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:1112            0.0.0.0:*                           0          127022     16024/send-mail
>
> I know little about sendmail, but if I was allowed to guess, I would say
> it's just an ephermal connection between
> sendmail and a client.  Following that, I would wonder why you are
> running sendmail on a firewall? :)

Sendmail. Yeah, I know. I wanted to receive normal system mail from the firewall. I had root aliased to myself at my workstation. But on the external interface, port 25 is not open. The iptables rules accept connections from a relaying mail server on port 2525 on the external interface, and forward them to my mail server using the NAT tables.

I figure if no one can hit from the outside world, it would be secure enough to run.

Just to be paranoid, I figure I'll reinstall it, with Debian, and turn off both sendmail and sshd. I have it connected to my workstation via serial console, so I don't need sshd anymore. Then there should be no network stuff other than the dhcp client, which I need for access to roadrunner.