Re: Packet filtering help

I went to a talk by Paul "Rusty" Russell (who maintains the
firewalling code in the Linux kernel) last year.  Now I don't have
my notes with me so I'm just going by my highly fallible memory
here, but Rusty definitely said that blocking ICMP was evil and
anti-social.  I can't remember the exact reason, but I think it
was something like:  on very high latency links (like say between
Europe and Australia on a bad day)  TCP connections can use
ICMP packets to verify that a host is still available before timing
out (not all TCP implementations actually do this, but according
to the RFC they can, and you should let them).

Please don't flame me if I have got this hopelessly garbled.  :)

--
Paul Haesler                    paul@haesler.dyndns.org