Re: MD5 sums of individual files?

Kenneth Pronovici wrote:
> [ ... ]        When I need to update the AIDE database, I re-mount the
> floppy as read-write, make the update, then remount it as read-only.
> This leaves the CD-R free for other tasks (like backups) but keeps the
> AIDE database relatively safe.

Only in a very loose interpretation of `safe'.  If your machine is
broken into and the intruder has root access, your database is just as
vulnerable as if the disk hadn't been protected in the first place.  It
would be safer if the floppy was physically write-protected (with the
little sliding thing), which is impossible to undo or bypass remotely,
AFAIK.

Stephen