Re: Applications using Linux capabilities

juolja@utu.fi (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Juha_J=E4ykk=E4?=) writes:

> > - xntp3 w/patch (just keeps CAP_SYS_TIME, drops uid 0)
>
> As far as I can recall, xntp3 was split into ntp and ntpdate
> somewhere around version 4.

You are correct that the Debian package is now derived from version 4 upstream
source, and split into ntp and ntpdate packages.

> I do not see why there is any need for the older version.

The point of the original posting was to identify applications that can use
"capabilities" to avoid running with root privs all the time.  There is
apparently a patch for xntp3 out there somewhere, which suggests that it might
be possible to generate such a patch for ntp/ntpdate fairly reasonably.

I can confirm that the current Debian packages run as root, since I maintain
those packages.

Bdale