Re: saft port

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 09:07:01PM -0800, Alexander Hvostov wrote:
> SAFT is a nifty little protocol that lets you send a file to some other
> user on the internet without them having to explicitly accept it. Instead,
> the SAFT server will receive the file and place it in a queue for access
> later on. The protocol itself is quite new; an implementation is in the
> `sendfile' package. I strongly suggest checking it out.
>
> This same thing, by the way, can also be done with email, with only one
> small problem: most email servers will refuse emails exceeding a certain
> (extremely conservative) size, making this protocol impractical for
> transferring large files.

If a site doesn't want to receive large files, they won't be running SAFT
either. The only thing it appears to be useful for is bypassing the sender's
ISP's mail limits, but if your ISP is that mean you should switch anyway.

> On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Kozman Balint wrote:
> > what is the funny saft (487 - udp/tcp) port? Is that a possible security
> > hole?

It has had some issues...
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=sendfile

It's an <IMHO>unnecessary</IMHO> protocol; if you aren't using it, remove
it.

--
Colin Phipps                            http://www.netcraft.com/