Re: Anti Virus for Debian

When I started here we had a copy of McAfee for linux (ie I don't know
how much it cost) but they weren't using it - as I use it on my desktop
I was going to put it on my machine.....the idea being that I could
remotely scan my users machines from my machine (I have found the
windows McAfee has problems seeing some virus files when run on an
already infected machine - anti McAfee viruses).

But instead I saw this really cool project: http://www.amavis.org/

It is an opensource tool that you can install on your companies mail
server, that adds an extra queue to either sendmail, or postfix, or
qmail and another one (can't remember atm), which scans all mail before
delivering it or sending it out to another server.  We didn't have 1
AnnaK virus hit (although I got quite a few messages from the server).

It will integrate with just about any virus scanning product available
for Linux (and they have a list of about 10 to choose from).  Just make
sure the process limit for scanning is appropriate for your hardware -
the default is 50....and we had to lower that for our poor little
server......it didn't crash, but was acting really weird after
recovering from a load = 75 :)

But yeah - it is a great tool - and it works :)))     oh the docs kinda
suck a little bit.....but just use your head when following them (their
FAQ I think mentions they need to write better install instructions) -
come to think of it I should have written down what I did and emailed it
to the maintainers.

If anyone wants to even do a test install and email them with those
steps - I think sendmail is already done......

Luke

Christopher Curtis wrote:

> I think your best bet is here:
>
> http://www.sophos.com/downloads/products/unix.html
>
> They're pricey (~$1,000/yr for 10 workstations) and don't support
> Linux/SPARC, but support Linux/i386, Linux/Alpha, and Solaris/SPARC, so
> if you're willing to pony up the $$$ they may be the most likely source.
>
> Chris
>
> Mario Zuppini wrote:
> >
> > I would also like to know of virus scanners especially for mail servers ie
> > sendmail
> > that will work on a SPARC ???
> >
> > there are a few that work under i386 ie like amavris etc can be found on
> > freshmeat.net
> > but nothing will work under a sparc

Luke Worthy, Systems Administrator

Sinewave Interactive Pty Ltd
Level 3, 493 St Kilda Road, Melbourne
Victoria, Australia  3004
Tel: +61-3-9820-5443
Fax: +61-3-9820-0407
luke@sinewave.com.au

The information transmitted may be confidential, is intended only for
the person to which it is addressed, and may not be reviewed,
retransmitted, disseminated or relied upon by any other persons. If you
received this message in error, please contact the sender and destroy
any paper or electronic copies of this message. Any views expressed in
this email communication are those of the individual sender, except
where the sender specifically states otherwise. Sinewave Interactive Pty
Ltd does not represent, warrant or guarantee that the communication is
free of errors, virus or interference.