Re: pptp with mschap

John Ferlito wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 12:36:58PM -0500, Bao C. Ha wrote:
> > It belongs to pppd.  I am not sure if the Debian pppd package
> > has included the patch to support them or not.
MSCHAP support is in, MPPE is not.

>         It doesn't at the moment but I've got some packages that do just
> that. I've been meaning to get in touch with the ppp maintainer before I
> package them up.
I tried this too (I am the pptpd maintainer), but the problem is, that
you also need kernel support for MPPE encryption and that both the
kernel and the ppp package would have to go into non-US at the moment
(this might change, but we will have to wait). Therefore MPPE support
can not be included in the main ppp package now.

> I'm not sure right now what the best way to package
> them is. I'll probably release a ppp-mppe package that is an alternative
> to ppp. The problem I was having was how to deal with packages that
> depend on ppp. I think I can get around this by usung the laternatives
> stuff rather than making the packages conflict.
Please make the packages conflict (and ppp-mppe should Provide: ppp)
since it seems to make no sense having both installed. The ppp-mppe
package should provide everything the normal ppp package does, but with
the pppd binary having MPPE support included. It's the same case as with
the slink ppp-pam package.

>         I intend to releasre the packages in the next week or so.
Would be very nice. I could immediately add a "Recommends: ppp-mppe" to
my pptpd package so that users automatically get the MPPE support.

best regards,
Rene