Disappointment in security handling in Debian

G'day,
  I'm writing this to express my frustration at the slowness Debian
seems to be afflicted with when it comes to letting people know about
our security vulnerabilities and fixes.

We seem to be able to find, fix and upload fixed packages quite
quickly, however we are usually the last to let others know that they
should upgrade to the new packages, making our users unnecessarily
vulnerable.

Take the LPRng syslog() bug for example.  I've just had to email CERT
myself because there is no advisory.  If it is my responsibility to
write these things, then it should be clearly stated for all developers
somewhere.  If it is not, then it should be clearly stated what I am
supposed to do to make it happen.

This fix was mid-October, it is now mid-January.  Taking 3 months to
write something up is clearly not acceptable and something needs to be
done to correct it. I'm sick of seeing emails saying basically a user
thought we were vulnerable until they accidently stumbled upon
some obscure email somewhere.

We are not doing the project or our users justice with these delays.

  - Craig
--
Craig Small VK2XLZ  GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.eye-net.com.au/        <csmall@eye-net.com.au>