Re: checking security logs

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, John Reinke wrote:

> The lights on my cable modem indicate that I've had a bit of regular
> traffic coming through today. I don't have anything running that should be
> creating traffic from my side, so I'm pretty sure it is originating from
> the outside. It doesn't appear that anyone is logging into or affecting my
> Debian box (potato), but I'm not able to determine which logs to look at to
> see what is going on.
>
> What are the normal logs that will contain information about what packets
> are received/sent through my system and what services were being requested?

Install and configure the ippl package, if you want that detail of
logging. You can then direct it to write to syslog or to a file.

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it, gmulas@tiscalinet.it>

OSSERVATORIO  ASTRONOMICO
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel.: +39 070 71180 216     Fax : +39 070 71180 222

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)