Re: port-scanning. advise?

On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 07:50:56PM -0700, Nathan Paul Simons wrote:
> able to identify you, can't prove it, or you be in a position (either of power
> or geography) to not be held responsible.

SecurityFocus had a link to a story (I think it was on Slashdot too) about
a court rejecting a case where a guy tried to sue a portscanner claiming
that he should be liable for the 'costs' involved in investigating the scan.

The question is if this was actual sanity by the courts, or they just got
lucky. It would be interesting to see if they would have seen the very same
action in the same light were the computer to crash as a result.

--
Jordan Bettis <http://www.hafd.org/~jordanb/>