Re: sorry for the wide question but

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Allen Ahoffman wrote:
> OK, I am looking for a good starting point and something with lots of
> depth for how to hack Linux systems.

Read the kernel mailinglist and learn to program C. ;)

> We have a system which was hacked.

I think you're meaning 'cracked'.

> We know the guy replaced netstat, ls, ps, and some other stuff, set up
> camp in /tmp, uses a hacked telnetd on a higher port, and gains root
> access, but we are looking for the hacks that get people in without
> passwords to start with.
> named hack I knew about not running named
> might be nfs hack
> its kernel 2.0.12 on the machine.

2.0.12 ?  Then, if we guess that the other services on the box is from the same
era, i think you've got multiple root-compromisable services ;)  Are you
running wu-ftpd from that time, for example?

--
"Rune Kristian Viken" <arcade@kvinesdal.com> / arcade@irc (EFnet/IRCnet)
Kvinesdalsnett System Administrator (http://arcade.kvinesdal.com/)