sorry for the wide question but

OK, I am looking for a good starting point and something with lots of
depth for how to hack Linux systems.

We have a system which was hacked.

We know the guy replaced netstat, ls, ps, and some other stuff, set up
camp in /tmp, uses a hacked telnetd on a higher port, and gains root
access, but we are looking for the hacks that get people in without
passwords to start with.

e.g.
named hack I knew about not running named
might be nfs hack
its kernel 2.0.12 on the machine.
Yeah its not Debian box but I have to start somewhere learning the
possible things to go check, and Debian people are more security aware it
seems.

p.s. any progress on the qmail license issues fronts?