Re: recent gpm DoS issue

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 06:53:51AM +0000, Jim Breton wrote:
> Do we have any plans in the works for a fix similar to what Red Hat are
> doing?
>
> Running potato here, and the permissions on /dev/gpmctl are indeed 777.
>
> I am thinking about changing the group ownership on mine to "mouse"
> (creating that group) and using the /etc/security/group.conf mechanism
> to put console users into that group.
>
> Sound like a good plan, or is there something better?

pam_group is only relativly secure if your system is installed and
configured a certain way:

/tmp and /var and /home being their own partitions and mounted nosuid.

even still one can leave a process running with the group privileges
quite easily... man screen.

what is gpmctl actually used for anyway?

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/