Re: Sheesh .. talk about beating a dead horse (autofs)

"L. Besselink" wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, monte wrote:
>
> > Hi:
> >    You make a living with MS platform, that is fine for you and all of us. We
> > couldn't care less about that, only are somewhat curious about why you waste
> > time with Linux.
>
> Probably because it's a more stable server platform and that's where he
> keeps all his sourcecode on and his other important files.

=)

That's enough to get you message flooded (m-lined?).  Actually, I use
Linux in the server room, as it's generally more stable, I find, than
NT.  I also prefer Linux as a development platform; even though the
tools aren't as good, the supporting tools are much better (like, the
compiler ain't so hot, but I can do all sort of automated testing that
can't be done under Windows [yet]).

NT is used as Windows - NT is a decent OS, Win9[5|8] is complete
garbage.  It is used for personal workstations - be they developmental,
or administrative.  All are firewalled.  95/8 is present on the test
computers, and some older systems which aren't used heavily (and they
all dual boot Linux for stupid recovery).

Source is kept in CVS (I typically write under Linux first, then port to
Windows when it comes time to get GUI), which will be moved to a RAID-5
array (after the last RedHat Alpha gets converted to debian), and all is
backed up daily (save weekends) with Amanda.  Windows is getting some
nice CVS tools to make it all happen seamlessly.  TortoiseCVS, although
a little buggy, will be used for our webpage maintenance when ready; and
jCVS is used now for source, which may be changed to CvsIn if I'm
feeling adventurous.  VC++ is already unstable enough as is.

Christopher