Re: Sheesh .. talk about beating a dead horse (autofs)

Alexander Hvostov wrote:

> Christopher,
> If you have access to WinNT source, you must be of some importance to
> Micro$oft (or perhaps they are to you), so why are you on this mailing
> list?

I am, I think, the only person at work who is not a PhD.  One of my
coworkers (http://www.aet-usa.com/aaj.html) [no comments about the
website - we have been 'blessed' with a consultant ...], in conjunction
with another professor, has some sort of direct access to the
pursestrings of MS.  The two of them (Dr. Jorgensen and James Whittaker)
have made quite a name for themselves in the software testing arena, and
for the university.  They have access to much, if not most, of the
source code to the NTs - current work (this is no secret) focuses on the
Kerberos implementation in 2000.  I would love to be able to use this to
improve samba, especially on the domain controller code, but I have no
desire to involve myself in such legalities.

I can assure you that I have no loyalty to MS, nor do they to me - in
fact, I've been quite miffed ever since the OS/2 fiasco.  However, as
far as coding goes, you have to code to market.  My only loyalty is that
they provide the platform from which much if not most of my income is
derived.

Now, as an aside, what good is access to the source if the upstream
people simply don't give a damn?

Christopher