Checksums on ftp

 * Reply to message originally in area ml.debian.security

Hi!

26 Apr 00 11:52, Ingemar =?iso-8859-1?Q?F=E4llman?= wrote to UUCP:

 I?> All debfiles has checksums right?? These checksums can be used to
 I?> verify if a file has been changed, so therefore checksums can be used to
 I?> check if someone has hacked my computer and installed a rootkit right??
No, they can't. It is possible (and not hard to do) to change the files in a
way that does not change the checksum.
The only way to really check if the files have been tampered with is to compare
them byte by byte with the ones in the .deb file.

CU/Lnx Sascha