Re: a help required

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:

> nmap the machine, filter out known ports and try to connect to the
> remaining ones. just my idea ...

Before doing that, at very least inform the sysadmin of the machine or,
better, ask him for permission to do it. People tend to get very nervous
upon detecting portscans, especially if they come from a "trusted"
computer on the internal "trusted" network. I, for one, would not be happy
to have people in the network I administer doing port scanning without
asking me or the other sysadmins.

bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it, gmulas@tiscalinet.it, gmulas@eso.org>

OSSERVATORIO  ASTRONOMICO
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel.: +39 070 71180 216     Fax : +39 070 71180 222

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
 Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read..."
              (Groucho Marx)