Re: Automatic password changing

Neil,

That's a bad idea because it defeats the purpose of the password being
there to start with. You see, the password is ordinarily encrypted and
kept under tight safeguards, to make it hard to figure out what it is. If
you were to reset the password periodically, you would presumably have to
store the password without it being encrypted, which personally gives me
the willies because of its security implications, like someone being able
to read your password...

However, it _is_ possible to copy the password, in its encrypted form,
from a cron script, and copy it into its proper place in /etc/shadow. The
problem with this is that it would need a parser of one sort or another --
probably a perl script. Ask someone else for this, but I still think it's
a bad idea security wise.

Regards,

Alex.