IPv6 with NIC identifiers?

There's an article that may (or may not) be accessible as
http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,31853,00.html (Wired News
is pretty poor at making articles externally referenceable)

   *Wiretapping the Net: Oh, Brother*
   by Declan McCullagh
   2:00 p.m. 12.Oct.99.PDT

I haven't quoted the whole thing here, because it's rather long,
but the following paragraph:

   The wiretapping issue arises as the IETF is wrestling with a
   separate but also prominent privacy issue in IPv6, the slated
   next-generation Internet protocol. As outlined, the proposal would
   include the unique serial number for each computer's network
   connection hardware as part of its expanded address.

makes me wonder about Debian security: does Linux IPv6 insert NIC
card addresses into the data stream?  Is it optional?

Thanks.