Re: joining the science team to package spaCy & gensim

Hi Paul,

In the past Andreas Tille and I tried to get spaCy into the archive
since it is really useful (in my research projects), and is sometimes
more convenient than NLTK (I'm the uploader).

Both NLTK and spaCy suffer from a problem -- they cannot be fully
functional without pretrained models. And you know this is exactly
what the ML-Policy is discussing.

I think you can simply work on the existing repositories. New repos
can be created under the deep learning team if you like.

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 07:55:09PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My employer is interested in having spaCy and gensim in Debian.
>
> https://spacy.io/
> https://radimrehurek.com/gensim/
>
> I noticed that there is a spaCy package in the team's repository
> although it is not yet in Debian and gensim is also a natural language
> processing tool so the team seems like the right place for it too.
>
> https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/spacy
>
> I have used stdeb to create internal packages of spacy, gensim and
> their missing dependencies. The packages all build, some tests fail and
> the packaging needs cleanup and fixes. I would like to import the
> packages into the team and work on completing them. Some of the
> dependencies are probably more suitable for the general Python team or
> possibly the machine learning team, so I'll import those elsewhere.

Just feel free to go ahead. But you might want to ask Andreas if he has
any unpushed commits.

> I've submitted my request to join the salsa project.

Debian science team has the maintainer access to Debian Deep Learning
team by default.