Re: MPI implementations in squeeze

I generally agree, just a quick nit-pick/clarification:

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 20:56 +0100, Manuel Prinz wrote:
>       * Alternatives need to be fixed. Besides what the bugs that
>         Nicholas referenced say, there are two other issues with those:
>         First, the priorities do not match the reality (Open MPI being
>         the default / recommended implementation to use), and second,
>         that mpi.so is also in the alternatives, which is wrong in every
>         respect and has bother me for a very long time now. The
>         implementations are not ABI-compatible in any way, and we really
>         need to get rid of that.

The .so alternatives symlinks only require that the libraries be
API-compatible, which they are (or if not, it's a bug, since they're
supposed to follow the MPI standard).  That's why these links, and
plain .so links in general, are in the -dev packages, not the shlib
packages.  It should be possible to compile any MPI program's source
code against any implementation by linking -lmpi -lmpi++ etc.

Then the resulting binary, shlib etc. includes the soname specific to
the library it linked with, e.g. libopen-rte.so.0 .  So if it's in a
Debian package, the resulting binary depends on the ABI-correct library
package, e.g. libopenmpi1 .

If this still doesn't make sense, the libtool online documentation is
pretty clear.

-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/