Re: OpenBUGS?

Hi Ross,

On 17 December 2008 at 12:40, Ross Boylan wrote:
| OpenBUGS, a program for Bayesian inference via Markov Chain Monte Carlo
| methods, seems like it would be a useful thing to have in Debian.  I've
| wanted to use it a few times.
|
| Is there a reason it's not packaged, for example only the windows
| version works?

i)   IIRC it requires some weird pascal-alike compiler.

ii)  Don't take this is as a personal; critique, it is a more general
     observation:   Wishing along rarely helps. If you really want, package
     it locally and announce it here, someone may then take over.

iii) I did package jags which is close. I don't use it, though, but as a well
     constructed program it made a nice test case for the 'two-line'
     debian/rules using the dh meta-command in debhelper.

Cheers, Dirk

Package: jags
 JAGS is Just Another Gibbs Sampler.  It is a program for analysis of
 Bayesian hierarchical models using Markov Chain Monte Carlo (MCMC)
 simulation  not wholly unlike BUGS.
 .
 JAGS was written with three aims in mind:
  * To have an engine for the BUGS language that runs on Unix
  * To be extensible, allowing users to write their own functions,
    distributions and samplers.
  * To be a plaftorm for experimentation with ideas in Bayesian modelling
Homepage: http://www-fis.iarc.fr/~martyn/software/jags/