Re: GUI for R

Hi Egon,

On 7 October 2006 at 18:56, Egon Willighagen wrote:
| On Saturday 07 October 2006 17:07, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| > The excellent JGR is a very good choice.  As Janno said, it may be tricky
| > on stable.  It just became a lot easier to install on unstable (and I still
| > have to post a short writeup) using R 2.4.0 and its new 'R CMD javareconf'
| > which can update R's knowledge of where your Java installation is.
| >
| > Unfortunately, JGR is still somewhat outside Debian as it wants Sun's Java
| > JDK so I don't think I'll ever package it directly.  Now, if someone wanted
| > to outside of Debian ...  In fact, the CRAN maintainers mention that
| > idea. Maybe one day.
|
| Did you try it with JamVM/Classpath? I will have a go at that in running JGR,
| and report problems with the Classpath team.

I do not use Java myself, so I wouldn't be the one to try this.  It would be
nice if someone like you with R and Java clues coud try it.  I honestly do
not know what is involved but I have the suspicion that it is no cake walk.

That said, Simon and Markus, the upstream authors, would certainly help. As
they develop mainly on OS X, their priorities and toolchain may not be
exactly like ours, but I do nudge them every now and then to try and debug on
Debian (as we did just before R 2.4.0 leading to the JGR_1.4-11 revision).

Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison