Re: Batch systems in Debian

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Brett Viren wrote:

There is also OpenMosix which will give you a single OS image spanning
all nodes.  It is more useful in a general computing environment since
it lets people work interactively.  Unfortunately it only supports
Linux 2.4 x86.  I tried the beta with 2.6 support but it was a bit
unstable.  When it is released I'll definitely consider it again.
If you can live with 2.4 you might want to check it out.

We have been using OpenMosix for 4 years or so on a cluster. The 2.6 kernel version is always coming "real soon now" but I am not sure there is much activity on it. On the positive side, OpenMosix works pretty well at load balancing across the cluster. The only thing is that it cross mounts all the file systems over NFS and can cause some significant network traffic.

Carlo

--
Carlo U. Segre -- Professor of Physics
Illinois Institute of Technology