GPIB communication

Hi

I am trying to acquire data from various lab equipment through the GPIB
interface. Using sarge (stock kernel 2.6.8-2-686), I installed the
gpib-modules-source package and compiled it (with module-assistant),
which went fine. The card (National Instruments PCI-GPIB) is apparently
correctly configured (no error message from gpib_config). Using either
ibtest or the python bindings for libgpib, I can send data to the
instruments. This works. However, if I try to read from any instrument
(both with ibtest of from a python shell) the computer simply reboots.
I did not find anything in the logs which could help since the reboot is
really instantaneous...

Any hint?

Regards,

Stephane