Arch qualification for buster: call for DSA, Security, toolchain concerns

Hi,

As part of the interim architecture qualification for buster, we request
that DSA, the security team and the toolchain maintainers review and
update their list of known concerns for buster release architectures.

Summary of the current concerns and issues:
 * DSA have announced a blocking issue for armel and armhf (see below)
 * Concerns from DSA about ppc64el and s390x have been carried over from
   stretch.
 * Concerns from the GCC maintainers about armel, armhf, mips, mips64el
   and mipsel have been carried over from stretch.

If the issues and concerns from you or your team are not up to date,
then please follow up to this email (keeping debian-release@l.d.o and
debian-ports@l.d.o in CC to ensure both parties are notified).

Whilst porters remain ultimately responsible for ensuring the
architectures are ready for release, we do expect that you / your team
are willing to assist with clarifications of the concerns and to apply
patches/changes in a timely manner to resolve the concerns.

List of blocking issues by architecture
=======================================

The following is a summary from the current architecture qualification
table.

armel/armhf:
------------

 * Undesirable to keep the hardware running beyond 2020.  armhf VM
   support uncertain. (DSA)
   - Source: [DSA Sprint report]

[DSA Sprint report]:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2018/02/msg00004.html

List of concerns for architectures
==================================

The following is a summary from the current architecture qualification
table.

 * Concern for ppc64el and s390x: we are dependent on sponsors for
   hardware.
   (Raised by DSA; carried over from stretch)

 * Concern for armel and armhf: only secondary upstream support in GCC
   (Raised by the GCC maintainer; carried over from stretch)

 * Concern for mips, mips64el, mipsel and ppc64el: no upstream support
   in GCC
   (Raised by the GCC maintainer; carried over from stretch)

Architecture status
===================

These are the architectures currently being built for buster:

 * Intel/AMD-based: amd64, i386
 * ARM-based: arm64, armel, armhf
 * MIPS-based: mips, mipsel, mips64el
 * Other: ppc64el, s390x

If the blocking issues cannot be resolved, affected architectures are at
risk of removal from testing before buster is frozen.

We are currently unaware of any new architectures likely to be ready in
time for inclusion in buster.

On behalf of the release team,
Niels Thykier