Re: Upgrading the minimum required s390x CPU to z10?

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016, at 11:39, R P Herrold wrote:

> IBM upstream has moved the 'enterprise' distributions to the
> even later z196 level about three years ago, via the -march
> option.  They made no secret of their intention to 'end the
> life' of earlier hardware main-line support, even if it was
> not well communicated outside of 'enterprise' circles
>
> One could speculate why, but ... why bother.  Chopping off the
> legacy tail gets rid of easy conversions and substitution
> replacement by Hercules rather than zPDT, and so drives more
> of the remaining 'paying customer' pot either off of Z (to
> Power, or distributed)

Less than a year ago, I reported a problem to IBM regarding a kernel
crash on pre-z10 processors, and they produced a fix for it.

(See https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/s390/linux.git/patch/?id=0b991f5cdcd6201e5401f83ca3a672343c3bfc49.)

So, for Linux they are still supporting the entire z/Architecture line.
Of course, it's no secret that they want their customers to keep
buying their newer models every few years.  For their own proprietary
64-bit operating systems, such as z/VM, they start cutting off
older hardware.  We still run z/VM 5.4.0 because it is the last
release of z/VM that still supports our z/890.  Starting with
z/VM 6.1.0, a z10 or newer is required.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@fastmail.com>
 : :'  :