Re: Unable to run kde or gnome

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 10:08:18AM -0500, Martin, Larry D wrote:
> Any idea why startx will not run.  If I run it as root I get all the messages
> I posted earlier and if I run it as a user I get that I am not authorized.
>
> When I type gdm3 all I get is repeated messages about the display running for
> 0.2nnnnnnn seconds and have to <break> to get out of the loop.

As I said it's not supported. I don't know what else to tell you. There's
nothing startx could draw a display on. gdm/xdm/kdm needs an xdmcp
configuration before they can be used. Xnest seems indeed one way to go.
Another one is vncserver.

But I already said all of that (granted, except Xnest, thanks for the hint.)

Try startx on any x86 Linux box. It might start an X session on VT7 if you're
root, but not in your Putty.

(That question is not s390-related, so debian-user@lists.debian.org might be a
better fit for support.)

Kind regards