Re: installer problem

On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 11:11:02 -0400 (EDT), Tom Huegel wrote:

> I am trying to install DEBIAN s/390 for the first time and get the
> following messages in the log.
> I seem to get the same (or at least similar) messages regardless of which
> mirror I try.
> Can anyone point to my error?
> Thanks
> Tom

If you're using the s390x version of the installer, then the only release
that can currently be installed is wheezy (testing).  To install an
earlier release, such as squeeze (stable), you must use the s390 version
of the installer, not the s390x version of the installer.  Allow me to
explain.  Debian, until recently, took a hybrid approach to the s390/s390x
environment.  The kernel space was 64 bit, while the user space was 31 bit.
Thus, even when running on z-series processors, the architecture designation
was still s390.  Wheezy is the first release to offer a complete s390x
architecture, where both kernel space and user space are 64 bit.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :