Re: IBM z/VM + z/Series + Debian

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 02:29:11 -0400 (EDT), anandhcoe wrote:

> The reply was very useful and i am still facing problem in
> accessing my ftp server via putty.  I will clearly follow up
> what i have done till now,
>
> * The debian installer opened.
> * I selected the expert mode
> * then selected "Choose a mirror of the debian mirror" as you see below ,
>
>              ââââââââââ⤠[?] Debian installer main menu âââââââââââ
>              â                                                    â
>              â Choose the next step in the install process:       â
>              â                                                    â
>              â   Configure the network device                     â
>              â   Configure a network using static addressing      â
>              â   Choose a mirror of the Debian archive            â
>              â   Download installer components                    â
>              â   Change debconf priority                          â
>              â   Save debug logs                                  â
>              â   Execute a shell                                  â
>              â   Abort the installation                           â
>              â                                                    â
>              ââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââ
>

> <Tab> moves between items; <Space> selects; <Enter> activates buttons"
>
> * Then i selected FTP
>

> "    ââââââââââââââ⤠[?] Choose a mirror of the Debian archive
> ââââââââââââââââ
>    â Please select the protocol to be used for downloading files. If
>    â unsure, select "http"; it is less prone to problems involving
>    â firewalls.
>    â Protocol for file downloads:
>    â                                http
>    â                                ftp
>    â     <Go Back>
>
> ââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââ
>

> <Tab> moves between items; <Space> selects; <Enter> activates buttons"
>

> * THen i gave my mirror hostname ( FTP server host name where files reside)
>
>      ââââââââââââ⤠[!!] Choose a mirror of the Debian archive âââââââââââââ
>      â                                                                    â
>      â Please enter the hostname of the mirror from which Debian will be  â
>      â downloaded.                                                        â
>      â                                                                    â
>      â An alternate port can be specified using the standard              â
>      â [hostname]:[port] format.                                          â
>      â                                                                    â
>      â Debian archive mirror hostname:                                    â
>      â                                                                    â
>      â xxx.xx.xxx.xxx:xx_________________________________________________ â
>      â                                                                    â
>      â     <Go Back>                                       <Continue>     â
>      â                                                                    â
>      ââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââ

> [...]

OK, here are some things to check.

(1) Make sure that your FTP server has been set up to allow "anonymous ftp".
That is, it must allow a user name of "anonymous" to login with any password.
And this anonymous id must have read access to the entire Debian archive.
The server must support both active and passive mode FTP transfers.
Make sure it does, and that you don't have any firewall issues preventing
this from working.  Test all this using the CMS FTP client prior to
starting the installation.

(2) During the early part of the installation, while you are still using
the 3215 virtual console, it will prompt you for the IP address(es) of
a Domain Name Server(s) (DNS).  Make sure you supply a valid IP address
(not a domain name) of a valid Domain Name Server that can be accessed
by the mainframe.  You can check this prior to starting the installation
by seeing if your VM/CMS FTP client can access that DNS.  The DNS that
you supply must be capable of resolving the domain name of your ftp server.
You can check this by using the nslookup command from CMS prior to
starting the installation.  (Of course, you must have the FTP client
code disk, TCPMAINT 592, accessed.)

(3) Make sure that PuTTY has the UTF-8 character set
(Window -> Translation -> UTF-8) or the window borders, scroll bars, etc.
used by the Debian installer will look horrible, as the above copy-and-paste
screen shots look horrible.

(4) If you still have trouble, try using an IP address instead of a
domain name when prompted for the domain name of your ftp server.

(5) If you still have trouble, then you probably don't have your FTP
server set up properly.  It must look like a Debian mirror to the
Debian installer.  I'm afraid I can't be of much help here, since I've
never set up my own internal Debian mirror.  I have always used an
external public Debian mirror to do my installs.  Perhaps you could
set up a Debian mirror from a PC that has access to the external
internet, then once you have it working, move it to another LAN
segment to which the mainframe has access.  (Of course, if it can't
access the external internet from its new location, it can't sync
up with the official mirrors once you move it.)

Perhaps this link will get you started with creating your internal
Debian mirror:

http://www.debian.org/mirrors/ftpmirror

If you need help setting up your internal mirror or getting it to work,
ask for help on the debian-mirrors mailing list.  You can limit your
mirror to the "s390" and "all"

HTH

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell