Re: IBM z/VM 6.1 + z/Series + Debian

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 02:35:50 -0400 (EDT), anandhcoe wrote:

> Thanks for your valuable thoughts... I have nearly followed all your
> steps in installing Debian Linux on Z/VM..
>
> In my case, I am using FTP as the method to access the installation media.
> The problem is I am unable to specify the Username/Password to access our
> FTP server.

It sounds to me like what you have done is create some kind of "in-house"
FTP server.  Again, how are you going to get security and volatile
updates if you don't have access to the internet?  But ignoring that
problem for the moment, what the Debian installer wants to connect
to is a *Debian mirror*.

A list of public Debian mirrors is available here:

   http://www.debian.org/mirrors/list

You can choose any of those which support the FTP protocol and the s390
architecture, provided you enter the correct domain name and directory path,
and provided that you entered the IP address of a DNS server during network
configuration that can resolve the name.  (If that's the issue, take a
look at the TCPIP DATA file on your VM system and look at the NSINTERADDR
statement(s) for the IP address(es) of DNS server(s).)

It is possible to create an in-house Debian mirror and point the installer
to that, but it doesn't sound like that's what you've done.

> I have attached screenshots of what I have done so far.
> Kindly help proceed
> further.

I don't have any software installed that can process .odt files.
How about plain text?  (In PuTTY, you can copy the current screen
to the clipboard as follows: (1) click on the "icon button" in
the upper left-hand corner of the title bar.  From the drop-down
menu, click on "Clear Scrollback", then repeat the process,
clicking on "Copy All to Clipboard" this time.  The resulting
text can then be pasted in an e-mail.)  Here's an example from my
PuTTY session:

-----

login as: steve
steve@10.14.80.48's password:
Linux debian3 2.6.32-5-s390x #1 SMP Wed Aug 25 13:56:36 UTC 2010 s390x

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
You have new mail.
Last login: Wed Sep 15 10:42:06 2010 from 10.14.91.79
steve@debian3:~$

-----

The above was extracted from PuTTY via the method described.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :