installing with NFS?

Hi,
I downloaded debian-31r1-s390-binary-1.iso and burnt it
on a CD, which I made available as an NFS export.

I then downloaded the Debian startup files for s390,
and IPL'd the debian-installer.

Now I have a problem, and maybe 2 of them. :)
1) The installer does not seem to recognize NFS.
     13:14:27 Please select the file download protocol.
                  If unsure,select "http"; it is  less prone to
                  problems involving firewalls.
     13:14:27 Protocol for files download:
     13:14:27   1. http [*]  2. ftp
     13:14:27 Prompt: '?' for help, default=1>

     Is it really not possible to use NFS to install Debian linux?

2) I don't know if this is a problem or not, but I will ask.
    At an earlier stage, I gave the network parameters:
    addresses, port info, IP, mask, gateway; but the network
    is not working. Isn't it supposed to be up at this point,
    when the installer wants to access a download mirror,
    or does the network only get initialized later?

Thank you,
Shimon