Re: Let go

Hi,

I think it's obvious to everybody involved in packaging Rust crates for
Debian that the current process is far from ideal. It's (relatively)
new, it's evolving, and it's not finished.

At the same time it's obvious that the traditional approach for creating
Debian packages just doesn't work well for Rust crates. (I assume that
the same is true for npm, go etc., but I don't know much about those
ecosystems.)

Debian needs to evolve, and we all need to learn what works and what
doesn't work. Some things we try will turn out to be bad ideas, for
sure, and need to be reverted or improved. Others will work and will
be adopted by Debian in general.

As we aren't the borg collective, we will have different approaches and
preferences. Please don't assume bad faith if there is a disagreement.

There is a reason why the Rust team decided not to file ITPs for every
single library crate. It's not laziness. But if this causes duplication
of work, it is _good_ to mention that, so processes can be improved.

Jonas is right, and James is right, as well.
Again, please don't assume bad faith, but try to find the best solution
for Debian as a whole.

Jan