Re: RTF (Was: StarOffice 5.2 russian)

--- Victor Wagner <vitus@ice.ru> wrote:

> > ôÁË ×ÏÚ×ÒÁÝÁÑÓØ Ë ÎÁÐÅÞÁÔÁÎÎÏÍÕ, ËÁË ÏÂÍÅÎÉ×ÁÔØÓÑ
> > ÄÏËÕÍÅÎÔÁÍÉ Ó ÷ÏÒÄÏÍ. îÅ ×ÅÒÀ, ÞÔÏ ÐÅÒÅËÏÄÉÒÏ×ÁÔØ
> > ÐÒÉ ÞÔÅÎÉÉ SO ÍÏÖÅÔ ËÏÒÒÅËÔÎÏ, Á ÏÂÒÁÔÎÏ ÎÅÔ.
>
> ÷Ï-ÐÅÒ×ÙÈ, ÆÏÒÍÁÔ ÆÁÊÌÁ Word97 É ×ÙÛÅ ×ÎÕÔÒÉ ÀÎÉËÏÄÎÙÊ, ÔÁË ÞÔÏ
> ÐÅÒÅËÏÄÉÒÏ×ËÅ ÎÅ ÐÏÄÌÅÖÉÔ.
> ÷Ï-×ÔÏÒÙÈ, ÓÏÈÒÁÎÑÊ × rtf É ÐÅÒÅËÏÄÉÒÕÊ ÐÏÔÏÍ ËÁËÏÊ-ÎÉÂÕÄØ ×ÎÅÛÎÅÊ
> ÈÒÅÎÏ×ÉÎÏÊ. õ ÍÅÎÑ ÎÁ ÓÔÒÁÎÉÃÅ ×ÒÏÄÅ ×ÁÌÑÌÓÑ ÐÅÒÌÏ×ÙÊ ÓËÒÉÐÔ.

Victor,

Sorry but I have to repeat again: WinWord formats are not exchangeble even
between different WinWord versions. This covers as DOC format as RTF format,
which are almost the same by data inside with different storage (binary or
text). I have tried to read the same simple _English_ document (DOC and RTF
formats), creted in office by English version of MS Office 97 for NT, by the
same product at home for Win95. You can guess the result. I was able to see,
but not to print or modify!

So in general one should not rely on these formats at all.

What should we say about third company products ? :)))
What could we think about complex documents including tables, HTTP references ?

With RTF no one other product from tested (Star Office 5.2 Rus, Word Perfect 8
EN, KWord from KDE2, other small conversion utilities) was able to even read
the document.

Situation with WinWord 2.0b format (not supported by KWord) is a little bit
better but not much.

So I decided to use ASCII TEXT or HTML format for creating documents by any
text editor (I use MCEDIT at the moment).

I have done the test above about 2-3 months ago when needed to distribute my CV
and my graduate study. It was really terrible because I had to modify the CV
couple times and only could do it on Windows computer.

> ôÁË ÔÁÍ ÜÔÏÔ pdf ÎÅ ÞÉÔÁÅÔÓÑ Acrobat Reader-ÏÍ. Ghostscript-ÏÍ -
> ÞÉÔÁÅÔÓÑ.

This is another incompability issue: last week I was not able to read RDF
document created by recent version of Exchange by any Linux tool and also by
any version of AcroRead (Linux or Windows) except the recent one for Windows.
Surprise ? Not at all!

Be happy!

Pavel.

=====