Re: Ruby 3.0 FTBFS issue (How to...?)

Hi!

Le Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 01:45:22PM +0900, Youhei SASAKI a écrit :
> Dear folks,
>
> I'm currently working on a fix some FTBFS related to Ruby 3.0.
>
> In the case of ruby-netcdf, ruby-lapack and ruby-fftw3, these packages
> depend on ruby-narray, but ruby-narray in unstable is not built for Ruby
> 3.0.
>
> So, I'm thinking of uploading ruby-narray to experimental first.
> Is this the correct procedure?

I think that the next upload of ruby-defaults in unstable should enable
the build of extensions for ruby3.0 too. The rebuild of the ruby
packages shipping extensions will then be triggered by an NMU.

I am not sure it is possible to manually upload a package with ruby3.0
support, even in experimental, as you would need to pick a version of
ruby-all-dev with ruby3.0 (>= 2.7.6~) but this is a transitive
builddepency through gem2deb. So unless you manually add the versionned
depency on ruby-all-dev in your package, the version from unstable will
be picked anyway when building the package. Adding this build-dependency
is not in line with the workflow of the team though.

So from my understanding, we sould just wait for the upload of ruby3.0
support to build native extensions, and NMU rounds.

Best wishes,