Re: Packaging cucumber, osmlib-base, sys-proctable and georuby

Dear Christopher,

On Sat, Mar 09, 2013 at 03:41:03PM +0000, Christopher Baines wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-03-04 at 22:45 +0100, Cédric Boutillier wrote:
> > * you didn't push the upstream branch, nor the pristine-tar branch to
> >   your github repo.

> I have now pushed the upstream branch, but I don't have a pristine-tar
> branch locally.

You can create one with the pristine-tar utility as follows:
pristine-tar commit ../ruby-dbf_2.0.3.orig.tar.gz

Next time you import a new upstream version, use git import-orig
--pristine-tar in order to have the tarball committed automatically to
the pristine-tar branch. This way one can ensure that everybody will
work with the same tarball as the one ending up in the archive
eventually.

> > * debian/dbf.1: remove the line: this manual page.... Instead, it would
> >   be nice to have some text describing what this tool/the library does.

> I have removed the line, and added some examples to hopefully clear
> things up.

Thanks. Shouldn't ActiveRecord:Schema be ActiveRecorde::Schema instead?

> > * bin/dbf: I am afraid the name is too generic. Should a suffix rb be
> >   added? The file bin/dbf make use of rubygems: you should patch it to
> >   remove this line.

> Done, but, I noticed dh_ruby breaks this when it rewrites the shebang
> line without including the -s flag?

Try adding it back after dh_ruby did its job, by putting at the end of
the override_dh_auto_install a line like:
	sed -i '1s/$/ -s/' debian/ruby-dbf/usr/bin/dbf-rb

> > * debian/ruby-tests.rake: the regexp to find the test does not match the
> >   tests shipped with the package. Replace './spec/*_spec.rb' by
> >   './spec/dbf/*_spec.rb'
> > * Two test fails with cowbuilder, due to encoding issue. This can be
> >   fixed by patching spec/dbf/record_spec.rb to add
> >
> >   	Encoding.default_external='UTF-8' if defined? Encoding
> >
> >   or something similar at the beginning of the file.
> > * I would also patch out the first line of spec/spec_helper.rb to avoid
> >   the modification of $:

The header of the patch doesn't follow strictly recommendations of the
DEP-3 guidelines.
	http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep3/
I would remove the lines between Description: and Author:, add a
Last-Updated: field, and when you forward this patch upstream, add the
URL of your report in a Bug: field.