Need advice for ruby-markaby

Hi!

I am trying to update markaby, and convert it to the new policy. I need
some advice for a dilemma I cannot solve.

The library markaby.rb tries to load dynamically from a file VERSION its
version number. The relative path between the library and this file
("../") is hardcoded in the file. With the default rules, this file is
not present in the binary package, which causes an error when loading
the library.

I can see two options:
1/ hardcode the version number in markaby.rb. Certainly the easier
solution, but it needs manual intervention at each new upstream release.

2/ install in the binary package the VERSION file. A logical place would
be /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/markaby, and the relative path would become
"markaby/" instead of "../". I could patch markaby.rb to fix that, but during
the tests, when rspec is loaded, the library used is the one in the lib/
directory, and not the one in the (future) binary package in
debian/ruby-markaby/usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/, and thus the VERSION is
not found...

I would like to know if you already encounter things like that in other
packages, and if you could advise me for the best solution to this
problem.

Thank you!