Re: "FATAL: kernel too old" when running mmdebootstrap'd riscv64 chroot

On 10/23/18 6:24 PM, James Clarke wrote:
> Yes, and in fact, on most architectures, 3.8 is set as the minimum, so if
> you're running an old kernel you can have precisely this issue. I believe the
> libc6 maintainer scripts detect this and bail out so as not to render your
> system broken. This minimum will probably be bumped at some point in the future
> when glibc wants to use a newer system call, but is generally pretty
> conservative for precisely this reason.

The glibc maintainer scripts actually did this in the past, too. For example,
glibc around 2.15(?) required a version bump of the kernel to at least
version 3.2 which is why the installation or upgrade fails when the kernel is
too old.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz