Re: bug#28574: coreutils: use dummy man when cross build

Control: user debian-riscv@lists.debian.org
Control: usertag -1 + riscv64

[coreutils not cross-buildable due to help2man issues]

On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 08:56:53PM -0700, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> On 23/09/17 20:18, Peter Bohning wrote:
> > Cross compiling for aarch64 from amd64
> >
> > Is there no way to disable the man pages in configure options?  Thanks.
> >
> > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/coreutils/2014-11/msg00000.html
>
> I've seen this issue in various places now (CC'd).
>
> We should probably reinstate distribution of man pages
> since these generated pages are so similar on various systems.
> Also given the amount of old ChangeLogs removed recently
> I don't think the addition of 273K (uncompressed) is prohibitive.
>
> The attached was tested in these modes:
>  git repo build
>  tarball build with/without help2man
>  tarball vpath build with/without help2man
>  make distcheck
>  make install  (and ensure only enabled program man pages installed)
>
> I've not applied this yet, but hope to soon after a bit more testing.
>
> cheers,
> Pádraig

Hello,

we are currently in the process of bootstrapping a new Debian
architecture (riscv64, https://wiki.debian.org/RISC-V) and
therefore affected by this problem.  The underlying issue has
been solved in upstream coreutils 8.29, so I would like to ask
whether it would perhaps be possible for you to update coreutils
in unstable to version 8.29.

Regards,
Karsten
--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der