Re: Thunderbird 1:78.11.0-1 in testing lacks full functionality

Hi Carsten

On 2021-06-17 19:54:51, Carsten Schoenert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a few days ago I requested the unblock of thunderbird 1:78.11.0-1 which
> was done quite quickly.
>
> Unfortunately rather also quickly I got some bug reports about
> Thunderbird isn't correctly working in testing/bullseye, but has before
> in version 1:78.10.0-1.

> I haven't found time yet to dig into the thing, but my expectation is
> already that the problem must have to do the the libnss3 library as no
> other parts have changed that deeply.
>
> Thunderbird 78.x has a version check for libnss3(-dev) while package
> build on nss >= 3.51.1. This can be fulfilled since a long time.
>
> We have in testing currently 2:3.61-1 and in unstable 2:3.67-1. While
> 1:78.11.0-1 was built against the previous version 3.66.
>
> The user Kevin Locke did some research on the differences between
> Thunderbird versions 1:78.10.0-1, 1:78.10.2-1 and 1:78.11.0-1 and found
> out that the previous version in testing was built against nss 3.63 and
> the current Thunderbird version was build against nss 3.66.
>
> He also confirms that these nasty issues in Thunderbird are gone if the
> libnss3 package from unstable is installed. I can confirm this too, I
> can see all suggested extensions again once I've installed libnss3 from
> unstable.
>
> For sure this all is somehow an upstream issue, somewhere between
> thunderbird and NSS3 and the build configuration.
> If I look at the the information from "Help - Troubleshooting
> Information" I can see Thunderbird is requesting libnss3 at least in
> version 3.63. but unstable has only 3.61 available,
>
> But how to proceed right now?
>
> I see two possible options.
>
> 1. Unblock nss 2:3.67-1
>    But I've no idea if Mike has his reasons for not requesting an
>    unblock. But I also can't think of any.
>
> 2. Rebuild the thunderbird package and use the internal shipped nss
>    source which is at 3.51.1.
>    I expect this will get needed any way for bullseye once the next ESR
>    circle is starting as and usually MZLA will use then the most recent
>    available nss version within the shipped source.
>
> What for opinions the RT is seeing?

Please correct me if I get anything wrong: thunderbird requires nss3 >=
3.51.1 (which it includes). It was built against 3.67 and fails to run
with 3.66. Would it work correctly if built against nss3 3.66 (which would
also satisfy the version requirement)?

If not, is nss3 in bullseye broken? Of yes, did 3.67 break its ABI? Or
is it simply a matter of an incorrectly produce dependency which is not
high enough?

Cheers
--
Sebastian Ramacher