Re: snort/daq mess in testing.

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 06, 2014 at 11:02:21AM +0100, Javier Fernandez-Sanguino wrote:
> The libdaq0 package should be removed from sid. The 'daq' source
> package now builds only libdaq2 (which replaces libdaq0). For some
> reason the latest version (2.0.4-3) has not yet been built by the
> autobuildds, it should have migrated to testing by now.
>
> I probably messed up something in this transition, I tried to go by
> the book but I'm not sure I did it properly.

The new version of daq causes a transition, and was uploaded when the
transition freeze was in effect. This is not acceptable based on the freeze
policy. It will not be allow into jessie.

https://release.debian.org/jessie/freeze_policy.html

> > So as I see it there are a few possible soloutions but none of them are
> > great (not advocating one over another, just saying what the options
> > appear to be, I'm just a regular dd who came across brokenness, not a
> > release team member or ftpmaster)
> >
> > 1: complete the transition, build everything against the new snort and ship that in jessie.
> I would be in favor of this one.

See above. This will not happen.

> > 3: revert daq in unstable using an epoch or a +really version number.
> > Remove arm64 binaries of daq and snort from sid and rebuild snort against
> > the reverted daq.
>
> I would prefer to provide the latest daq version in unstable, the old
> one should be removed.

The revert is the only acceptable way to fix snort in jessie.

> > 3a: same as 3 but fix the arm64 build of daq when reverting it.

If the fix is targeted and the diff between the current version in testing and
the new upload is acceptable, this might be unblocked.

> > 4: completely remove snort from testing

If there is no progress on the revert of daq and the rebuild of snort by the
end of November 2014, we will have no choice but to remove snort from jessie.

Cheers,

Ivo