Re: gcc plugins and rebuilds

On mer., 2012-03-21 at 23:50 +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Yves-Alexis Perez, le Wed 21 Mar 2012 22:47:11 +0100, a écrit :
> > Can't the plugin be rebuilt when needed (meaning, when it's used to
> > actually build something)?
>
> That'd make it quite more involved to use. ATM you just need to pass
> -fplugin=/usr/lib/.../libfoo.so to gcc.

Well, maybe, but if it's the only way to make sure it's the correct
version... I'm just saying that because the grsecurity patchset for the
Linux kernels uses multiple gcc plugins (shipped with the patch), which
are then built at the same time the kernel is built, and it makes sense
(at least in this case).

> Another way would be similar to dkms & co.

Indeed, you could have some dpkg-trigger for the rebuild.

Regards,
--
Yves-Alexis