Bug#688110: Please wheezy-ignore 688095 or unblock: yorick/2.2.02+dfsg1-1 (4-clause BSD leftover in Yorick)
Yorick is an interpreted language developed at UCB. It is under 3-clause BSD
It has recently been brought to my attention that there is one file bearing the
obnoxious 4-clause BSD license. 4-clause BSD is DFSG-free, but GPL-incompatible
(and overall we'd like to get rid of it).
Problem: many Yorick plug-ins are released under GPL, the package ships some
file under GPL.
- its just a tiny header file which doesn't get installed;
- its clearly a leftover and upstream has already corrected it on their git;
- it's a modified file coming from actual *BSD, from which the clause has been
I think it's best to just ignore it for Wheezy.
Alternatively, I can upload a "new upstream" version with those changes (Yorick
is already repacked with a +dsfg version anyway):
- replace this file with the git version (which only changes the copyright
- mention it in debian/copyright;
- mention it in debian/changelog.
Kind regards, Thibaut.
-- System Information:
Debian Release: wheezy/sid
APT prefers testing
APT policy: (500, 'testing')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)
Kernel: Linux 3.2.0-3-amd64 (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=fr_FR.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
diff -Nru yorick-2.2.02+dfsg/debian/changelog yorick-2.2.02+dfsg1/debian/changelog
--- yorick-2.2.02+dfsg/debian/changelog 2012-06-30 07:41:29.000000000 +0200
+++ yorick-2.2.02+dfsg1/debian/changelog 2012-09-19 15:09:30.000000000 +0200
@@ -1,3 +1,9 @@
+yorick (2.2.02+dfsg1-1) unstable; urgency=low
+ * New upstream release (DFSG packaging, Closes: #688095).
+ -- Thibaut Paumard <firstname.lastname@example.org> Wed, 19 Sep 2012 13:11:04 +0200
yorick (2.2.02+dfsg-6) unstable; urgency=low
* yorick-full Depends: on yorick-svipc and yorick-gyoto
diff -Nru yorick-2.2.02+dfsg/debian/copyright yorick-2.2.02+dfsg1/debian/copyright
--- yorick-2.2.02+dfsg/debian/copyright 2012-06-19 17:47:22.000000000 +0200
+++ yorick-2.2.02+dfsg1/debian/copyright 2012-09-19 13:10:33.000000000 +0200
@@ -2,6 +2,8 @@
Upstream-Contact: David H. Munro <dhmunro at users.sourceforge.net>
+ regexp/yfnmatch.h has been updated from git due to a DFSG issue:
Copyright: 1989, 1993-1995, 2005-2011, The Regents of the University of California.
diff -Nru yorick-2.2.02+dfsg/regexp/yfnmatch.h yorick-2.2.02+dfsg1/regexp/yfnmatch.h
--- yorick-2.2.02+dfsg/regexp/yfnmatch.h 2012-04-15 12:28:11.000000000 +0200
+++ yorick-2.2.02+dfsg1/regexp/yfnmatch.h 2012-09-19 11:37:55.000000000 +0200
@@ -1,6 +1,8 @@
* $Id: yfnmatch.h,v 1.1 2005-09-18 22:06:21 dhmunro Exp $
+/* $OpenBSD: fnmatch.h,v 1.8 2005/12/13 00:35:22 millert Exp $ */
+/* $NetBSD: fnmatch.h,v 1.5 1994/10/26 00:55:53 cgd Exp $ */
* Copyright (c) 1992, 1993
* The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
@@ -13,11 +15,7 @@
* 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
* notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
* documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
- * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
- * must display the following acknowledgement:
- * This product includes software developed by the University of
- * California, Berkeley and its contributors.
- * 4. Neither the name of the University nor the names of its contributors
+ * 3. Neither the name of the University nor the names of its contributors
* may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
* without specific prior written permission.
@@ -34,7 +32,6 @@
* SUCH DAMAGE.
* @(#)fnmatch.h 8.1 (Berkeley) 6/2/93
- * $OpenBSD: fnmatch.h,v 1.4 1997/09/22 05:25:32 millert Exp $