Re: Preparation for d-i beta 1

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 23:54:18 +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:

> Questions:
>  A. if we build a debian-installer package against the old linux kernel
>     ABI, and then images with that debian-installer, will the installer
>     be able to install a kernel with the old ABI to begin with, *and* a
>     kernel with the new ABI in a few days when it reaches testing? Or
>     will the images be broken when that happens? (added debian-kernel to
>     Cc accordingly).

The netboot and businesscard at least will be broken, AIUI, because they
get udebs from the network and those need to match the d-i kernel.  OTOH
they'll probably be broken by non-ABI-changing kernel changes anyway, so
maybe that doesn't matter.  For the other images I don't believe there
should be a problem, as they already include the appropriate module
udebs and install the final kernel through the linux-image-foo
metapackages.

Cheers,
Julien