What do to with Atlas ?

Hello,

I need your help to know what to do with Atlas.
Atlas is an auto tuned library for linear algebra. It is an
implementation of the BLAS/LAPACK libraries (which are widely used in
the numerical computing world). Basically, that means that the
compilation process will build some small piece of code in order to know
what will perform best on the CPU (using CPU extensions or multicore
capabilities). Performances with Atlas are much better than the
reference BLAS implementation
Atlas was unmaintained for a while in Debian and in testing, it is still
the version 3.6.X which quite buggy and old.
I did a refactoring of the packaging and uploaded version 3.8.3 (the
latest stable release).
It is working pretty well beside a boring problem:
At build time, there is a random bug. This bug causes atlas to FTBFS [1]
[2] [3].

Upstream provided a first patch [4] but unfortunately, it is not enough
and it is still occurring.
I haven't been able to reproduce it and it is hard to know exactly where
it is failing in the build log.

I don't think Squeeze should be shipped with the previous release 3.6.X
I would like to have your opinion on what we should do here.

I can make sure that atlas is building on all archs ([4]) which is
already almost the case.
Do you think we could allow the package to migrate to testing ? If not,
what would be the best way to see atlas in testing ?

Please c/c, I am not subscribed.

Thanks for your input,
Sylvestre

[4]
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=379482&aid=2973075&group_id=23725
[5] https://buildd.debian.org/~luk/status/package.php?p=atlas

PS: there might be also some problems if Atlas is built on old CPU but
it is not really relevant here.