Re: JPEG 8 transition

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 12:17:42PM +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Bill Allombert (Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux1.fr) [100214 10:19]:
> > The second step would be to fix packages that Build-Depend on 'libjpeg62-dev'
> > to Build-Depend on 'libjpeg-dev' instead, but that might make theirs
> > build-dependencies unsatisfiable until they have been fixed. Again, please do
> > not make them Build-Depend on 'libjpeg8-dev', or 'libjpeg-dev|libjpeg62-dev' or
> > 'libjpeg-dev|libjpeg8-dev' or other combinaisons.
>
> Sorry, but that's *way* too messy. Why don't you answer the mails we
> send you before sending something out to d-d-a? This single action
> will delay the release of Squeeze for a couple of weeks.

Which one ? I think I replied to every single mail from debian-release
that deserved an answer.

> I'm totally annoyed by the lack of coordination, generating
> unnecessary work etc.

So do I, in the other way. At least the email to d-d-a improved that,
and I do not think following its recommendation can make anything worse.

> Can we please come to an plan how to fix that mess which doesn't
> involve the upload of more than 200 source packages and ties them to
> this transition? How about making (at least for the moment)
> libjpeg62-dev an transition-only package to libjepg8-dev? That would
> allow us to at least not block so many packages.  (We can always at
> a later moment change that back - or have lintian warnings that
> build-depends on libjpeg62-dev should be dropped, or have an
> libjpeg62real-dev, or whatever - but now we need to get the archive
> and the testing migration operational again.)

I proposed to do that on debian-release already, but this was rejected.

So I will state it a last time:
I propose to upload the libjpeg6b source package that generate
libjpeg62 and libjpeg6b-dev (*not* libjpeg62-dev) and to upload
libjpeg8 source package that generate a libjpeg8-dev that provides
both libjpeg62-dev and libjpeg-dev.
Do the release team want me to do that ?

Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.