Re: BinNMU for libjpeg8 transition

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:54:18PM +0100, Luk Claes wrote:
> Julien Cristau wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 23:08:41 +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:
> >
> >> It is API compatible. As I said, I have rebuilt locally the 311 packages
> >> that build-depends on libjpeg62-dev against libjpeg8-dev, so there is no
> >> risk of API incompatibility.
> >>
> > Then they shouldn't have different names.

They do not: libjpeg-dev was libjpeg62-dev and now it is libjpeg8-dev.
The problem is that some packages Depends on libjpeg62-dev instead of
libjpeg-dev as they should.

libjpeg62-dev need to be kept for LSB compatibility.

> Indeed or put it differently: if you want to change the name of the
> package, it should provide libjpeg62-dev instead of conflicting with it.

I do not disagree, and I could for example rename libjpeg62-dev to
libjpeg6b-dev and update the conflict.

However I was told essentially not to do that in
<20090918230812.GA26040@artemis.corp>
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2009/09/msg00216.html>
Pierre Habouzit wanted packages build-depending on libjpeg-dev to
transition first. Unfortunately the wrong 'Depends: libjpeg62-dev'
need to be fixed first. I have reported bugs to that effect.

Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.