Re: lenny-and-a-half?

Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Noah Meyerhans <noahm@debian.org> [2009-11-20 16:58]:
>> Hi all.  Is there work under way for a lenny-and-a-half release?  Is
>> there a wiki page or other resource listing ongoing tasks, progress,
>> calls for help, etc?  I know about http://wiki.debian.org/LennyAndAHalf,
>> but thus far it doesn't have much content.
>
> Since nobody else has responded and I have an interest in
> lenny-and-a-half, let me share my impression of the current status:
> when the December freeze was announced, some members of the kernel
> team said that lenny-and-a-half doesn't make sense.  This position has
> apparently not changed even after the freeze has been moved to March.
> So afaik nobody is working on lenny-and-a-half at the moment.
>
> If you're willing to put in some effort I guess the next step would be
> ask the security and release team whether they'd support it.
>
> I'm personally interested in lenny-and-a-half and would be happy to
> ensure that it works well on ARM.

The Release Team currently has its hands full so will probably not be
the one to push for a lenny-and-a-half. As long as new hardware support
is possible through the general point releases, that is also the
preferred way. Though if there is a more general interest in a
lenny-and-a-half the Release Team will happily try to help make it
happen. A first step is investigating what hardware support is wanted
that is not possible via general point releases though.

So any input on what new hardware support is missing is appreciated and
even more if it's not possible to have that in a general point release
(too much changes or too much risk of breakage without going to a newer
kernel for instance).

Cheers

Luk